Tuesday 20 July 2010

"You actually watch this?"

My Mother has recently banned my younger sisters from watching Eastenders, she claims that they "learn nothing beneficial" from it and should rather watch something educational and enlightening, or even read a book. I won't state my views on her decision as of yet, they'll become clear in a short while. Reading into her actions however, I began pondering, when I was younger the only television that was restricted by my Mother was Wrestling. I often remember late Friday nights having to turn the T.V. volume down to watch WCW whilst she slept, luckily on Saturday her work shifts allowed me and my elder brother to watch WWF (as it was then known) without her parental interference. Back onto track however, I began to think "has television gone too far?" has it become too influential and detrimental to our society and especially to the younger and more easily lead amongst us, children?

In consideration of this personal debate the major factor to acknowledge was the nostalgia factor. It has been globally endorsed that every generation wields the right to make statements along the lines of "in my day..." followed by a proclamation of how inferior our current state of society is to theirs. So if I was to take the stance that television has deteriorated since my earlier days will I be simply living up to my human nature? Regardless of this potential bias, I will present my views without discretion.

My earliest television memories revolve around an easy-going purple dinosaur and his friends, human and of the pre-historic disposition. I also remember a yellow dinosaur (fun-fact: Until I was about 8 she was "lellow") who funnily enough upon reflection had serious anxiety issues, as well as a group of young children facing and most importantly overcoming everyday challenges with the guidance of their purple friend. Me, well I'm no child psychologist but maybe the aim of this programme was to help develop basic social skills, either way I enjoyed it's positive messages and the assurances of Barney at the end of the show that "He loves me" and "We're a happy family", creepy. However, to be honest, apart from the nonsensical "Teletubbies" I have little complaint with T.V. specially made for the younger spectrum of viewers, even now.

Fast-forward to the present and especially current prime-time viewing, you know the family-orientated stuff. I am beginning to question the competency of writers to keep the audience actually entertained instead of merely wanting to know "what happens next?". I say this because I feel television in this era is moving in a direction where writers are forfeiting creative plot-lines, drama and intelligent character development for what is simply known as "shock-value". I can use Eastenders as an example, now I am aware that the enduring soap has recently employed new producers and writers in order to breathe new life into a quickly going-stale soap-opera, but I can't help thinking, where has the life gone? I'm not going to recite previous story-lines but I remember this programme having a lot more substance that it has now, the ratings might tell you a different story but you have to appreciate the loyal fanbase this programme has accumulated over the years, I feel this has allowed complacency to creep into the corridors. I could go on and rant about television series that have "fallen off" à la the Simpsons, or what I now know it as "HD it all you want, it's still s***", but that's not constructive (or even relevant as I've just remembered).

So how has all this come to effect younger viewers? Well as I previously mentioned, the "shock-tactics" now being employed to producers and writers can only go in one direction, more seedy plot-lines, more violence, more is better? One could argue that this is the direction that our modern society is ultimately progressing but I disagree, to me these are the words of a defeated individual, or better yet somebody who profits from this. As a child I remember not understanding half the goings on in what I saw on prime-time T.V. and that was a good thing. When I think of the constant saturation of sex on our screens, it's inevitable that young children will start to understand way too much way too early in my opinion. Having been bombarded with these more mature scenarios, it's only a matter of time before children begin to understand "it was only a one night stand" or "he's having an affair with his daughter-in-law". This sort of television which used to hardly interest children at least until their mid-teens is now being directed at them in an attempt to win the eternal ratings war.

Maybe I sound just like another concerned parent, well I'm not, I'm still a teenager myself infact (only just about) but my social observation on this matter is clear for everyone to see, just go outside and look how much these kids know. During my weekly voluntary work with kids I hear a lot of things from 11 year olds that even surprise me. So what's the remedy for this current state of affairs? More accountability of producers? More censorship? In reality, I didn't think that far, but of anything history has taught us, it is that in the face of adversity a good role model will nine times out of ten prevail over the short comings of society. So in closing my stance is: If you're really going to park your child in front of a television screen then at least make sure it's either off...



or football.

No comments:

Post a Comment